How It Works
STEP 1: REGISTER
With the Breakthrough Challenge, you’ve got three options:
- Sign up as an Individual
Register, create your personal story page, and then invite friends and families to support the cause.
- Start a New or Returning Team
When you register you will have the option to start a new or returning team. Follow the prompts in Step 2 to login as a returning team. Complete your registration and then set up your team fundraising page. Next invite friends and families to support the cause.
- Join a Team
When you register to join a team, search for your team’s name at the prompt, and join. It’s that easy.
STEP 2: RAISE MONEY
100% of the dollars you raise will support breakthrough cures at Penn Medicine’s Abramson Cancer Center — a worldwide leader in cancer research. Our sponsors generously cover the costs of the ride so that the funds you raise will go directly to the researchers who need your help to develop new cures.
Here are four keys to effective fundraising:
- Donate to Yourself
“Walk the walk.” Donate to yourself. You will encourage others to follow.
- Customize Your Page
Tell your friends and family why you’re riding—to fund innovative cancer research to make positive stories possible. A personal, genuine, and brief explanation of why you’re riding will call others to action. While you are customizing your page, enable Facebook fundraising if you have a Facebook page. For more about Facebook fundraising, click this link: Facebook Fundraising Integration.
- Start Fundraising Early
Send your friends and family a link to your fundraising page, and they will surprise you by how quickly they respond. Their generous response will prompt you and others to spread the word further—creating a wonderful cycle of success.
- Share your page link and story on your social channels. Follow the Breakthrough Challenge Facebook page for info and tips: Breakthrough Challenge Facebook.
Elevate your fundraising to a new level using the best practice tips and tactics shared here.
A little engagement goes a long way when encouraging others to participate.
STEP 3: COMPLETE YOUR IN PERSON and/ or VIRTUAL RIDE/SPIN/RUN/WALK!
- Join Strava! Strava is a great way to track your practice rides, walks, runs and more. It is also a way to communicate with others who are participating in the Breakthrough Challenge. Click for Strava Help Info.
- Track! Complete your miles in the location of your choosing. Track your miles on the Strava app. Tracking on Strava is not required unless you are competing in the virtual challenges September 4-10, 2023.
- Share! Share progress updates with both your donors and other participants.
- Join us September 10, 2023. If you are participant for the in person ride, we will see you at the Daniel Boone Homestead for one of the 3 ride options.